Pages

Monday, December 26, 2016

I think Stanley Kauffman did not feel "Death of a Salesman" by Arthur Miller was that great or good a play for at least one significant reason.. their is no humanly possible reason, their is no coherant motive whatsoever that has any basis in earthly, mortal, human-all-too-human reality.. why Willie Loman could not would not could not accept money from George.. I think it was George... when Willie Loman says, "I can't accept your money, George, I don't know why.. I just don't know why..".. it ruined the line / dialogue .. "I don't know why..".. for some very real, perhaps for many real sins of omission committed by fathers .. for which.. over which.. with which.. in respect to which.. they.. "just don't know why".. we may never get a Willie Loman now who just.. "doesn't know why".. he commits grevoius errors of omission as a father.. because he says that line to something so incoherant in terms of motive as not accepting money from George.. something that has no humanly intelligible reason for it....

... a message from Henry James.. who has read Arthur Miller's "Death of a Salesman"....

No comments:

Post a Comment