Thursday, September 3, 2026
.. copy and pasted from "AI Overview" .. about enron .. .. .. nightingale mist the second of planet apocalips: ..".. Wow.. just.. wow.. enron is fascinating.. and enchanting.. I'm just so overwhelmed by this wonderful financial vocabulary.. I think.. I mean.. I know.. I love reading about enron.."..
Enron Corporation was a massive American energy and commodities company based in Houston, Texas, that collapsed in a historic accounting fraud scandal in 2001.Rise and FallFormation: Created in 1985 through a merger of Houston Natural Gas and InterNorth.Peak: Grew into a global energy trader with claimed revenues near $101 billion in 2000.Collapse: Filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy on December 2, 2001, after massive hidden debts and fraudulent practices came to light.The ScandalMark-to-Market Accounting: Used a financial method that allowed the company to log estimated future profits from trades as immediate current revenue.Special-Purpose Vehicles: Created hidden off-the-books shell companies to mask billions in debt and toxic assets.Key Figures: Led by executives Kenneth Lay, Jeffrey Skilling, and Andrew Fastow, who were later convicted of fraud and conspiracy.Arthur Andersen: The company's auditing firm dissolved after being found guilty of obstructing justice for shredding thousands of Enron audit documents.AftermathLegislation: Sparked a major crisis of confidence in corporate America and led to the passage of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 to tighten financial regulations.Employee Impact: Cost thousands of employees their jobs and wiped out their retirement accounts tied to company stock.Would you like to know more about the key executives, the specific accounting methods used, or the Sarbanes-Oxley Act?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment