Pages

Friday, November 27, 2015



Later scene


                                                            Hippolytus


    Father, I heard you outcry and came at once.  What troule has caused your distress I do not know; bu t I wish you would telll mel… OO!  What odo I see?  It is you rwife , Father= deeead!  Dead?  How is it possible?    I had only just left her’ a  short time ago she was  alive/!  What has happenned to her?  How did she die?  Father, I am asking you to tello me!  Will you njot speak?   This is no time to be silent!!  I kkkknnow that to o insist out o f season on eing told everythingis called idle curioustity;’  but I am a friend=- something more than a friend.  Surely , Father , you shoujd not hid trouble from me!!


                                                Theseus


    Ohe, the futiloe folly of men!  Why do they teach arts innumerable, contrive and search outut every other thing, when on knowloeldge they cannot win,one quarry they ahave not caught, the skill to teach wisdeom to the brutish.


                                                            Hippolytus


      He would certainloy be a clever instructor who coulod drive sense into a fool.  But., Fatjher,. This is not the time for philosophical discourse.  Sorrow, I fear, is making you talk wilodly.


                                                            Theseus


     Oh, there should be somewhere a touchstone of human hearts, which men could trust to tell them the truth about their efriends, who is loyal and who treacherouls;.!   Every manj should have twop voices, the one truthful, the other natureal, aos that his lying voice might brefuted by the true and we shouod not be duped.

No comments:

Post a Comment