Pages

Sunday, December 20, 2015

.. harry knowles.. should be hopefully safe discussion of Star Wars forya...

Nordling here.
In my review for STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS, I was reserved in my take on the movie - there is lots to enjoy, but also a few things to ponder and some misgivings about certain aspects of the story that JJ Abrams chose to tell.  Well, with this being STAR WARS and me being me, of course I've seen it again since, and as I suspected, my love for the film has increased exponentially.  I stand by my review, but it must be stated - when THE FORCE AWAKENS works, it's as pure a hit of STAR WARS that we've gotten since 1983.  It's better than the Prequels ever were, and audiences have really taken it to their hearts in a way we haven't seen STAR WARS do in a long time.  I'll likely be seeing it again, and I've already seen it three times.
We here at AICN feel blessed to be a part of this time, and so Harry, Quint, Papa Vinyard, Monty Cristo, and I got together to talk about our mutual love for STAR WARS - what we think certain plot threads mean, the destiny of charcters old and new, and what we expect to see in Rian Johnson's Episode VIII.  This was a fun discussion, and I think our joy comes through.  Massive spoilers follow, of course, so if you're THAT guy or gal who hasn't seen the movie, well, you know what you did.
Harry: Nordling, You’ve seen the film 3 times now?  What most is grabbing you about the movie that makes you want to go back, yet again?
 
 
Nordling: Han Solo.  Harrison Ford is Han Solo.  He's much more engaged than I've seen him in years.  He's having fun.  His banter with Chewie is truly wonderful.  And he puts the pain in his eyes in regards to his relationship with Kylo Ren.  We may not know much about what happened factually, but you can read it in his eyes that Han's heart broke when it happened.  It's one of his best performances of his career, and it might - just might - be his best performance as Han Solo.
 
Harry: Really, I’m gobsmacked in love with the new characters.
 
Nordling:  The new characters are great too. But it's Solo I'm finding myself drawn to more and more.
  
Harry:  Does that come from playing with a figurine and having constant mental childhood adventures, reconciling the end of the character?
 
Nordling: It's like a Beatles/Rolling Stones choice = you're either a Han guy or a Luke guy.  I'm a Luke guy, always have been.  But Ford Just brought it back so perfectly.
 
Harry:  I’m a Luke guy.
 
Papa Vinyard: I am surprised to see all the love for Poe Dameron out there. He’s absent for so much of the film that I didn’t feel like I got a good handle on his character. He comes off as too simple as a result, but I expect he’ll get more complex as they move forward.
 
Harry: Vin - I believe that’s about the intensity and amazing chemistry he has with Boyega through the Escape from the Star Destroyer stage.
 
Papa Vinyard:  I am a Luke convert.
 
Harry: It’s all about Luke.  Han Solo didn’t fucking meet Yoda.  Also Luke got the hotter kiss!

No comments:

Post a Comment