Pages

Sunday, December 20, 2015

.. quint: let's talk about rei... harry... obi wan: rei... these are your first steps...

Harry:  Also - the fans are just tremendous - I love seeing the Cosplayers.
 
 
Monty Cristo:  Poe’s parents were Rebellion pilots, which I know wasn’t in the movie but was in the comic lead-in.
 
Quint:  Like I mentioned earlier my 8 year old nephew flat out cackled at the reveal of the Falcon as the “Garbage ship.” When the Simon Pegg dude runs out and screams “That’s mine!” he looked at me and whispered “No it’s not!”
 
Papa Vinyard:  When Han went on the bridge, the woman next to me went, “That’s his papa!"  “That’s mine!” and “trash compactor?” are the only prequel-level goofy moments for me.  I don’t know why Ford makes that face when he says “Trash compactor.” It’s way too big, when the rest of the performance is so cool.
 
Harry:  I see Han as a big overgrown kid, devil may care - putting her in a Trash Compactor could be a Han thing to do with a Captain.
 
Monty Cristo:  If anything, what I see some people complaining about (derivative plot elements, sudden expertise among leads) is a plus for me not as a general practice, but as something that takes us back to the core of what Star Wars is.  Star Wars is derivative, and does repeat stuff, and that goes back to some of Lucas’ original touchstones like Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon.
 
Quint:  We should talk a little about Rey.
 
Monty Cristo:  Yes, we should.
 
Quint:  Something I caught on the third viewing was that she knew Luke’s location.
 
Nordling:  She felt it in the Force.
 
Papa Vinyard:  She does look around a bit.  But I’m pretty sure the island she lands on is the right island.
 
Quint:  No, when Kylo is interrogating her.
 
Nordling: That's right.  An island surrounded by ocean.
 
Quint:  He says what he’s seeing. He sees an island surrounded by water.  Yeah.
 
Monty Cristo:  Her mind knows where it is subconsciously, even if she doesn’t necessarily remember it consciously.  Or overtly show that she has that memory.
 
Papa Vinyard:  So… is she his daughter or not?!
 
Nordling:  I think she likely will be, but I'm hoping not.  It retracts the universe more.
 
Papa Vinyard:  His saber contained the memory of leaving her on Jakku, unless it unlocked that for her at that moment for some reason.
 
Quint:  She’s either Luke’s kid, sent away after Kylo was born or she’s Kenobi’s grandkid.
 
Monty Cristo:  It does not bother me at all if she’s Luke’s kid.
 
Nordling:  She has a British accent - she's so Kenobi's kid.  Heh.
 
Monty Cristo:  Yes, accents are all genetic, which is why my Cantonese accent is so thick. Ha-ha.
 
Papa Vinyard:  Why would the saber be that drawn to Kenobi’s seed instead of a Skywalker? Then she might as well just be some nobody.
 
Harry:  I think we’ll get a Ewan, Rogue Jedi movie where he knocks up some Mandalorian gal,
 
Quint:  It would be a bold move to show a non-Skywalker so powerful with the force. I’d like that more, actually, but I think she’s a Skywalker.
 
Papa Vinyard: Agreed, Quint.
 
Nordling:  I agree, Quint.  The whole movie is about a search for family.
 
Quint:  I think the saber calls out to her because she’s strong with the light side of the force.   Maybe a blood tie, too, but I would buy it as just her being the new new hope.
 
Monty Cristo:  Going back to my thing about how part of what I like best about TFA is that it owns the derivative themes and notes seen in the existing six films.  It’s part of what makes the Star Wars saga films a saga.  I love that the Anthology films can live in this universe and jump off the saga train.
 
Papa Vinyard:  Lupita’s character makes that big statement about it being Anakin’s, then Luke’s, “and now it’s drawn to you!”  
 
Harry:  Well, I like that she’s older than Yoda.
 
Nordling:  I hope we see Maz again.
 
Papa Vinyard:  No doubt we will.  She drops the big breadcrumb about how she got the saber
 
Harry:  Young Han, in his prime at Maz’s!
 
Nordling:  Yoda, in his prime at Maz's!
 
Harry:  Wookiee love at Maz's!
 
Quint:  Speaking of Ewan, did you guys see the guy who voiced Obi-Wan in Clone Wars tweet about Ewan recording the Obi-Wan line you hear when Rey touches the saber?
 
Nordling:  What does he say?  I keep listening for it.
 
Quint:  Something like “Rey, these are your first steps."  Last thing you hear at the end of the vision.

No comments:

Post a Comment