Spewbacca Lane Meyer • 6 hours ago
see moreKnowing nothing about any of these Phantasm films... is it a big deal if I watch II before I've seen I?
Lane Meyer Spewbacca • 15 minutes ago
see moreKinda. The second one picks up right after the first one, then jumps ahead a few years. I kinda thought the ending was......questionable, but hey, it came out in the 80's, everything was questionable.
solitaire Marquis de Sade • 9 hours ago
see moreA fucking awesome movie!!! Reg getting ridden like a bucking bronco...the ice cream man cometh!
Phantasm has darkly surreal tone and spooky soundtrack, atmospheric like a bad dream. I remember being affected by just a clip of it on Film 79 with Barry Norman. Mike is being chased through the mausoleum, trapping the tall mans fingers in a door jam - yet the fingers are still tapping away! Mike cuts them off, the stump spurts yellow embalming fluid.. I was suitably intrigued. When I finally got to see it on VHS I wasn't disappointed, it's still one of my favorite movies.
Tony DiWonderful Dazzler1111 • 41 minutes ago
see moreThey screened it at my youth club when I was about twelve. It scared the shit out of me. Never felt a sense of dread like I did with that film , even watching better horror films that were around at the same time.
Supposedly Martin Scorcese of all people is overseeing a restoration of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, with previously deleted scenes! That plus PHANTASM will be very welcome Blu-Rays.
oh_riginal David PC • 2 hours ago
see moreScorcese is damn near a film historian/preservationist in his spare time when not making movies. Doesn't surprise me one bit that he's doing it.
tardis_blue L.H.Puttgrass • an hour ago
see moreYou should invoice Harold seeing as you basically did his job for him. Yep forget posting trailers for two of the major blockbuster sci-fi/comic book films of next year...heres some exciting news about Phantasm.
Its quite telling that at the same time that sites all over the world are posting the ID4: Resurgence trailer Harold posted a picture of himself on Twitter putting his head on a pillow and falling asleep. If thats not a handy visual metaphor for this site then I dont know what is.
tardis_blue L.H.Puttgrass • an hour ago
see moreI am aware of this but its still unfortunate all things considered, How long does it take to post a quick article on here? Can one of his flying monkeys not do it? This isn't 1995- hell it isnt 2005. its a 24 hour a day business. Time zones and sleeping patterns be damned, If you want to stay on top of this stuff then someone out of the many staff can be prepared. I think its time Aicn dropped any pretense of being up to date or breaking news of anything and instead finds its own niche even more.
WakeUp37 L.H.Puttgrass • 11 minutes ago
see more"the uploader has not made this video available in your country"
wow, marketing fail!
custard ganet L.H.Puttgrass • an hour ago
see moreYou don't have the Tennage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 trailer in your bag do you?
We need Independence Day trailer Talk Back pronto. It's great, Goldblum = MVP + lead.
Sponsored
•
Reply
•
Share ›
WakeUp37 L.H.Puttgrass • 13 minutes ago
see more
custard ganet L.H.Puttgrass • an hour ago
see more
fishnets • 2 hours ago
see more
misfit_85 • 12 hours ago
see more
Caustic Vapors • 13 hours ago
see more
Cobra Commander • 4 hours ago
see more
cobra--kai • 13 hours ago
see more
lazarus • 16 hours ago
see more
Theragen Derivative • 15 hours ago
see more
graynewt • 13 hours ago
see more
"the uploader has not made this video available in your country"
wow, marketing fail!
wow, marketing fail!
You don't have the Tennage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 trailer in your bag do you?
We need Independence Day trailer Talk Back pronto. It's great, Goldblum = MVP + lead.
Captain Panaka ChickenStu • 2 hours ago
see moreWell, the defibrillators aren't holding their charge again. So they won't be able to wake up Harry till they can afford a new one. Kickstarter anyone?
One of my favorite films.
This restoration endeavor is more worthy of respect than anything Abrams has actually directed.
This restoration endeavor is more worthy of respect than anything Abrams has actually directed.
Hey JJ, now work on an official Star Wars DeSpecialized & all will be forgiven. ;-)
THAT'S what inspired Captain Phasma?
That's really kinda dumb.
That's really kinda dumb.
VonDan Cobra Commander • 2 hours ago
see moreThey all ready had the Chrome suit as a possible Kylo Ren costume then decided to use it as an unnamed signature evil henchmenLogan_1973 Cobra Commander • 3 hours ago
see moreLighten up Francis. Just remember the design of Slave I was inspired by a street light.KilliK Logan_1973 • 38 minutes ago
see moreah, that's why it looks like a street light. so that was it.
I saw PHANTASM at the time on VHS but I don't remember it standing out particularly well against the other 80s horror flicks (NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET, EVIL DEAD, POLTERGEIST, HELLRAISER, THE THING, REANIMATOR, FRIDAY 13TH, THE FLY, CREEPSHOW, ETC).
Is it worth a rewatch?
Is it worth a rewatch?
solitaire cobra--kai • 9 hours ago
see moreDefinitely. Though at this point, wait for the restoration cut. It is a trippy film that leaves a lot to the viewer to determine...my advice? watch Phantasm II directly afterward, as it literally picks up the second the first ends, and is a really cool movie (I actually prefer it to the first)cobra--kai solitaire • 9 hours ago
see moreCool, a lot of those old horrors I've seen multiple times but PHANTASM only once and I don't remember too much about it, so good to hear it's worth watching and this restoration cut will be a good excuse for a rewatch - double-bill with the sequel...Michael Gmirkin cobra--kai • 5 hours ago
see moreI really hope they remaster the entire series and release a box set on Blu. I'd definitely pick it up. It's weird. But good weird...
Podovski cobra--kai • 11 hours ago
see moreDefinitely worth a re-watch, Cobra.
It's not a great horror movie though (see Phantasm II if you want one of the best examples of it's time) The original is more of a surreal experience. Otherwordly and just plain strange. Combined with the soundtrack it makes for a uniquely enjoyable experience today.Rev Podovski • 7 hours ago
see moreThe original is a classic. I'd call it great, considering the budget.
KilliK cobra--kai • 8 hours ago
see moreif you view it more as a Lynchian dream-horror movie, than a straight,gory horror movie like Hellraiser or Reanimator, then yeah, it is worth a rewatch.oh_riginal KilliK • 2 hours ago
see moreWhat's funny is that Hellraiser isn't really a straight up horror movie either. It's more like a marriage drama with a gory angle. The Cenobites are barely in the original movie.
Great movie though.
Patient O.T. cobra--kai • 5 hours ago
see moreNightmare on Elm Street is a direct rip off of Phantasm, and using the dreamscape idea.Psycho Rockter Patient O.T. • 4 hours ago
see moreI'm a fan of them both, and while one may have influenced the other, the latter is not particularly derivative. I don't feel like I'm watching an imitation of Phantasm when watching NoES. Very different films, I'd give Craven's creativity some credit.
SullyOar cobra--kai • 6 hours ago
see moreI think it totally stands apart in its own way. There's something that so unique and semi-experimental and evocative and beautifully-creepy-huh?-frankensteins-monster-esque to the aesthetic and choices and narrative about it. And some of it's sequels. Then again, I'd have to admit as a 30yr old man I only properly explored or engaged with them again recently, and on a lot of medication and/or hallucinagenics.
I'm more interested in the new film than seeing the old one restored. Coscarelli sure has some fucked-up priorities.
Nagy Bertalan lazarus • 15 hours ago
see moreI have seen the first 20 minutes of SW7 ...
NOT impressedratedrnightwing Nagy Bertalan • 9 hours ago
see moreI saw the first 21 minutes of SW8 and was very impressed. It's balance man.
Patient O.T. lazarus • 5 hours ago
see moreReally? He should focus on his direct to video part 6 (or whatever number it is) than restoring a bona fide classic?
You are an idiot.Psycho Rockter Patient O.T. • 4 hours ago
see moreNot that these two things are related, but I'd rather see Phantasm 5 than the restored version of 1. I do have a DVD of Phantasm that looks fine. And whether or not it's in theaters means less than ever in 2015.
Don Coscarelli is 500 times the filmmaker Abrams will ever be.
Logan_1973 Theragen Derivative • 7 hours ago
see moreHe's the king of the VHS shelf, ill give him that.gabbygall Theragen Derivative • 11 hours ago
see moreQuick, get back on your bandwagon before it disappears before next weekend.THX11384EB gabbygall • 7 hours ago
see moreHate to break it to you, but you're the one who's going to be disappearing next weekend. Not that you'll admit it when the time comes. That's life though!
I love Phantasm as much as the next horror nerd, but let's all be honest: the pacing/structure is some of the worst in horror cinema. Coscarelli is great at mood/tone but his structure is for shit. John Dies at the End suffered from the same problem. I hope that JJ didn't take the structure in as an influence...
No comments:
Post a Comment